Monday, January 31, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Slice


Intro
When I was at primary school my best friend was Denise; actually she is still is one of my very best friends now. You know the kind: you can ignore each other for months and months and months then when you do get together you just pick up where you left off.

It was the late sixties when 'good' mummies were home by after-school 3pm, cooked yummy nutritious meals every night and had full cake tins. My Mum's baking included sultana cake, chocolate cake, coconut cake, ginger crunch, peppermint slice, coconut macaroons and a cruncy biscuit made with Greg's instant pudding; it came in all sorts of different flavours and the biscuits were different every time. I remember three things that Denise's Mum, Verna, made: yo-yos, coconut ice slice and chocolate fudge. My kids love this now and its easy to make. Sometimes I jazz it up with a few raisins or walnuts but its perfectly nice as it is.

Recipe
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tblsp cocoa
  • vanilla essence
  • 1 pkt plain sweet biscuits (eg super wine)
  • 6 ozs butter - melted
Break the biscuits into pieces - not too small is best. Place in a bowl with all the other ingredients and combine.

Press into a greased or tinfoil lined biscuit tin / tray. Ice with chocolate icing and store in fridge until set. Cut into small squares once set.

No comments:

Post a Comment