Thursday, July 13, 2023

Mum's Sultana Cake




Intro

The first pages in my recipe notebook are all written in my 11 year old handwriting and are all my Mum's. She is an amazing cook and gets enormous pleasure nowadays from preparing beautiful evening meals to share with her new husband, my step father Graham, and also glorious dinner parties for friends and family.

This is all a far cry from the family cooking that Mum used to do at the time I was copying out her recipes. I left home when I was 19, and as the eldest of 4 kids, Mum still had many years of family cooking ahead of her and making good, nutritious meals on limited income. I remember Mum going through her recipe book choosing recipes we were able to bake on the basis of how economic they were: how much butter, how many eggs. We were beginner cooks and I guess to there was a better than even chance that it would be a disaster! She identified, quite rightly, that the more ingredients a recipe has the higher the cost.

I have kept Mum's recipes back until now because they are really special and I didn't want to share them until it felt right.

This light sultana cake is a staple that mum regularly made. I remember it being yellow and lightly studded with moist sultanas and whenever we went on picnics - which we did often - we always took a square tin containing a sultana cake. Our favourite place for picnics was Mount Victoria in Wellington, we spent hours in the pine forest having raucous pinecone fights, but Red Rocks was memorable too with towering rock cliffs to scramble up.

Recipe
  • 1 pound sultanas (450g)
  • 1/2 pound butter(225g)
  • water
  • 3 eggs
  • 1.25 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon lemon essence
  • 12 ounces flour (3 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
Place sultanas in a saucepan, cover with water then boil for 5 minutes. Strain then add the roughly chopped butter. Set aside to cool.

Beat together eggs and sugar until thick and pale then stir into the cooled sultanas and butter. Add essence, flour and baking powder.

Bake in a greased, floured and paper lined square tin for about an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean, at 350 degrees. Watch the top so it doesn't burn the sultanas (might want to put a square of paper on top after 40 mins).

*Can add spice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment