Thursday, July 13, 2023

Nancy's Astrid Biscuits



Intro

The first bloke's Mum was a Very Good Mummy and always had home baking for her 3 hungry sons. Nancy had a core repertoire which she whipped up every Friday using 1 bowl and a wooden spoon: either a chocolate or a banana cake (always iced with chocolate icing and decorated with coloured sprinkles), little cheesecakes (pastry shells with raspberry jam, sponge cake filing and a pastry twist on top) and these yummy crunchy biscuits. I very wisely got the recipe before the Bloke and I parted ways but whenever I want to do something really nice for him (like after he's brought me firewood or fixed my pump ... again) I'll send #1 son down the road to his house with a freshly cooked batch.

Recipe

  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla esence
  • 2 cups flour
  • half a teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • half a teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 2 cups cornflakes

Cream together butter and sugar until pale. Add eggs and vanilla essence.

Add the rest of the ingredients, place teaspoonsful on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog with a search for cheesecakes, the old fashioned jam tarts with pastry, jam, cake and pastry decoration. I love it and recognise many old favourites. I'm in my 60s and my sister gave me a small folder into which she had copied lots of this type of recipe. It was a 21st present for me, she had little money. I treasure it and still have it and have added to it. My now adult sons all said it had to have their name on it , so I revised it, typed it up and had three copies bound in different colours. They all now have a copy. Any one for golden syrup steamed pud?

    I've had a quick glance through but have bookmarked this and will be back.

    ReplyDelete