Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Shortbread



Intro

When I have been poor, especially at Christmas time when the bambini expect things like Christmas presents and a Christmas meal, I have given gifts of food. One year I made Cashew Fudge packed into Christmas tins, another year Chocolate Truffles packed into small timber boxes which the kids dad made me out of pine offcuts which I washed green with watered down paint. Another year I made shortbread which I wrapped in cellophane and tied with red and gold ribbons. Tomato Relish, Tomato Sauce and Lemon Honey and also good gifts which people liked receiving.


Recipe

Cream together until white and fluffy

  • 1 pound (454g) of butter
  • 250g icing sugar
Sift together then fold in to the butter mixture in 2 or 3 batches:
  • 400g flour
  • 100g rice flour
  • 110g cornflour
Form into 2 logs, wrap in glad wrap, greaseproof or tinfoil and refrigerate until firm.


Slice into 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick slices, put onto a greased baking sheet and mark tops with a fork making 3 rows of evenly spaced prong marks. Sometimes I use a wooden scottish shortbread mould with thistle marks.

Bake slowly at about 140-150 degrees celcius for at least 30 minutes, maybe 45 - maybe longer. They do not want to be coloured at all and are best when quite dry.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm, better than scones. Gonna *have* to test this out.

    Ya ain't po' til ye're sleeping outside and skipping a day or two between meals. (Doesn't happen if you know your way about the forest, but still...)

    ReplyDelete