Thursday, July 29, 2021

Cashew Nut Fudge


Intro

Ilove fudge, just love it but the perfect fudge is a rare thing. I hate sugary, grainy fudge and I don't like it when its too hard either. I like it creamy but with a 'bite' to it. One summer I got a book out of the library, a whole book of fudge recipes, and I cooked my way through many of them. This is the best recipe from the book - really yummy and the perfect texture. I usually double the recipe so I can use up the whole tin of condensed milk. Several times in the last 20 years things have been a bit tight financially - especially around Christmas time - and thats when this recipe has come very handy as its a great Christmas present when wrapped in cellophane and the cashew nuts make it a bit posher than normal. 

Recipe

Combine the following into a large heavy saucepan:

  • 450g sugar
  • 150 ml sweetened condensed milk (can you get this outside of NZ?)
  • 150ml milk
  • 100g butter
Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved, stirring constantly. Bring to the boil and boil until mixture reaches 115 degrees celcius, stirring occasionally. It will catch really easily but don't panic if wee flecks of brown start appearing - its a warning to watch it like a hawk coz its on the edge of being done. Remove from the heat, add a few drops of vanilla, then beat until the mixture leaves a trail on itself. Quickly stir in 50g cashew nuts. Pour the fudge into a lightly oiled 18cm square tin. Mark into squares as it begins to set. When completely cold and set turn the fudge out and cut into the marked squares.

3 comments:

  1. I have never found the perfect chocolate fudge recipe so if you have one that meets my 'specs for perfect fudge' don't be shy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe when I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's awesome. I used crushed walnuts and cranberries. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete