Thursday, July 29, 2021

Lemon Honey

Intro 

An oldie but a goodie from the Edmonds Cookery Book. This is a Kiwi classic that every home-leaver, new bride and divorcee is given a copy of ... in fact I don't think I've ever met a home without a copy tucked into a drawer somewhere. 
Lemon honey is a key component of a slice I 'invented' while trying to replicate a lemon slice from The White House, a ski lodge I stayed in at Ohakune in the late 80s. I never did get it right but my slice is pretty good. Everyone grows lemons in Levin - except me - so whenever I get given too many to use quickly I make this. 

Recipe

Place together in a bowl:

  • 500g sugar
  • 125g butter
  • finely grated rind and strained juice of 4 lemons
  • 4 eggs
Place bowl in microwave and zap for 30 seconds then stir or whisk, 30 seconds then stir or whisk and so on until it gets nice and thick. It might take 5 minutes. (You are meant to do this in a double boiler but I can never be bothered). Pour into hot jars and cover when cold. Store in fridge. Use on Vogel's toast (my favourite), as a tartlet or pie filling or in Lemon Coconut slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment