Thursday, July 13, 2023

Rough Puff Pastry


Intro

For most of the last 25 years I have lived a good half hour away from a major town meaning I can't just pop down to the supermarket for groceries. We have a dairy where I live now, which is great, but I am still in the habit of making do.

This pastry recipe is pretty reliable and I use it for savoury pies and sausage rolls. I have a Sweet Short Pastry which I'll post here as well.

Recipe
  • 1.5 cups plain flour - I prefer organic flour (it really does taste better),
  • quarter teaspoon salt,
  • 175g cold butter,
  • 150ml cold water.
Put the flour and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Chop the butter into about 6 chunks and throw in as well. Pulse for 8 - 10 short pulses to roughly chop the butter. We are not looking for crumbs here folks. Tip the cold water in and pulse for short bursts until it just pulls together. don't over process it.

Tip it out and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave in fridge for 15 mins.

Roll out on a floured board into a rectangle, fold one end to the 2/3rds mark and fold the last end over the top (so folded into a third of the original size). Turn 90 degrees and roll out into a rectangle, fold into thirds again, repeat the turn and roll twice more. Cover with plastic wrap then refrigerate for 15 minutes. Roll, fold and turn 4 more times. Refrigerate for 15 minutes then roll out and use.

No comments:

Post a Comment