Thursday, July 13, 2023

Rhubarb Crumble


Intro
When I was 9 Mum and Dad bought our first house. It was an ex-State House across the road and down the street from the State House flat we had been renting for 8 years or so. This was a huge big deal and I clearly remember carrying a coffee table down the street with my friend who lived directly across the Street from our new home!

The only bad thing, in my child-eyes, was that the entire backyard was a paddock of silverbeet and rhubarb! We walked around the neighbourhood giving away armloads of the wretched stuff but ate more than can be imagined possibe too. It took me years to get over my aversion to silverbeet but I still remember the fragrant crumble that Mum made for dessert made week after week after week ...

Recipe
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • half cup flour
  • 2 cups crushed weetbix
  • eighth teaspoon nutmeg*
  • eighth easpoon cinnamon
  • 4 ounces butter
  • fresh rhubarb stalks
*At least - I use closer to 1 teaspoon of each spice. A few chopped walnuts are nice too.

Crumble

Combine all dry ingredients into a bowl, rub in the butter with fingers.

Top and tail rhubarb stalks and cut into 1 inch long pieces.Place into a casserole dish and sprinkle with sugar (about 160grams to every 500g rhubarb). Spinkle crumble over top and bake at 350 degrees for minutes 40 mins. Serve warm with vanilla icecream or thickened cream.

Yummy cold for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment