Thursday, July 13, 2023

Savoury Dumplings


Intro

Lovely Pippa gave me a file box of homekill stewing steak today - so excited - and yes you really can taste the difference. So this weekend its a big slowcooked casserole I'll be making with loads of garlic and carrots and red wine and onion. Then I'll drop in these fluffy white dumplings - yum. Beef and Carrot stew would be good too.

Mum used to make these when we were kids but I've no idea how (or when) she had time to make the stew given she worked fulltime and we didn't have crockpots ...

Recipe
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 12 tablespoons milk
Sift dry ingredients together, rub in butter (or use a food processor) drop large tablespoons-ful into stew, place lid on top and cook 20 minutes at a high simmer.

2 comments:

  1. ok, totally can't wait to make the stew + these dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. Makes me wistful for me childhood. Every once in a great while we'd have chicken and dumplings. Think colmes and HANNITY. Can't have a little protein messin' with our starch priorities, can we?

    Anytime we'd get a whiff of the broth, the slowest daughter (generally me) would have to grab the pewter Williamsburg bowls from over the gorgeously woodcarved mantel. It was worth stretching to reach those bloody things. :)

    The dumplings were just mostly bisquick, but we couldn't get enough of them. Heck of a way to stretch a chicken (or half a chicken, or just a leg) to feed a hungry family. :D

    ReplyDelete