Thursday, July 29, 2021

Apple Cake


Intro

This is one of the first desserts I can remember cooking for my family when I was a kid. Mum and Dad both worked and that meant that each of us kids in turn were responsible for preparing the family meal. Not surprisingly we are all pretty good cooks now. 

I got this recipe out of a Good Housekeeping cookbook my Mum was given by her Grandmother when she got married in 1963. I cooked it a lot when I was a pub cook in Gympie, Queensland. I used to multiply the recipe up and make it in a huge slab. I discovered that a good handful of flour = 1 cup and that I could cream butter and sugar much more quickly with my hand if I was in hurry. I would make whole cakes with my hand as the measurer and beater which was heaps more effective than a standard wooden spoon (in the absence of commercial mixers). When it was baking you could smell the cinnamon right through the pub and the bar staff would bring orders out for cake and cream. 

Recipe

Sift together
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • half teaspoon salt
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
Rub in
  • 4oz (125g) butter
Lightly beat together and add to the dry mixture:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
Pour into a greased tin, and cover with:
  • 3 or 4 sliced apples (peeling is optional)
  • 1 tablespoon of mixed peel
  • 2oz (60g) butter dotted over
  • quarter cup of sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
Bake 180 degrees for 35 minutes or until done. Serve with whipped cream and / or icecream. This freezes well in portions, reheats well in the microwave and can be made entirely in the kitchen whizz if time is short (including slicing the apples).

No comments:

Post a Comment