Thursday, July 29, 2021

Bagels

Intro 

The bambini love bagels and I too have developed a fancy for them myself. However, at $5 a pack of 4 they are a treat. 

This weekend I decided to have a crack at making them. I found this recipe online - complete with pretty pictures - but I am going to write it up here as well in case the original site ever ceases to exist. They are so yummy - the kids have just gobbled up the first tray hot out of the oven with butter and strawberry jam dripping down their chins and all over their hands. Luckily I ended up making 2 dozen because I wasn't sure if any of my 3 jars of yeast were good so I made 3 starter brews and then all of them turned out fine .... 

Recipe
  • 1.25 cups of warm water
  • 2 teaspoons active dried yeast
  • 1.5 tablespoons sugar
  • 3.5 cups flour
  • 1.5 teaspoons salt

Dissolve the sugar in the warm water, add the yeast. Leave for 1 minute then gently disperse the yeast granules by stirring with your finger. Leave for 10 minutes until its formed a scummy, frothy mass. If it hasn't 'grown' then your yeast is buggered so throw it away and go buy some fresh yeast. 

Put the salt and flour into a bowl, add the yeast mixture. Stir together then knead for 10 minutes until smooth and glossy adding flour as necessary. (I had to add about 1/2 cup of water). Place into an oiled bowl and cover loosely with pleated greaseproof paper, plastic wrap or a damp teatowel until its doubled in size. 

Push it down, rest for another 10 minutes then push down again. Form the dough into 8 pieces. Roll into smooth balls, poke a hole with your finger and then 'form' smooth-ish round bagel-shapes. I spun mine around my index finger :) Place them on an oiled tray for 10 minutes. 

 Bring a pan of water to the boil. Gently drop the bagels into the water and simmer 1-2 minutes on each side. Lift out, place on a baking sheet (lightly floured), brush with olive oil and sesame seeds and ground sea salt. Bake 15-20 minutes in hottish oven (about 200 degrees).

No comments:

Post a Comment