Thursday, July 29, 2021

Mulled Wine


Intro

Back in the day, pre-children, I used to take pottery classes. Rosalie Blake was the tutor and while I was never particularly good I really enjoyed those Thursday nights. It may well have had something to do with the mulled wine. We used to make a crockpot of this each class and sip away while we potted. I'm pretty sure we always got onto the clay ..... 

Recipe

Combine together in a crockpot and stir until dissolved:

  • 1 cup sugar (I think demerara sugar was especially good)
  • One and half cups boiling water

Add:

  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 6 cloves
  • 4 cups red wine
  • a quarter cup of brandy
  • 1 thinly sliced lemon (we used grapefruit sometimes and it was surprisingly good)

Cover with lid and simmer on low for 3 or 4 hours or 1-2 hours on high. Do not boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment